The Font was given to the Church in memory of Daniel Vawdrey who died on the 17th January 1844.
The inscription on the font reads:- “In Mem: Daniel Vawdrey of Tushingham ob:17 Jan A.D. 1844”
Daniel was the son of Daniel Vawdrey of Mooresbarrow Hall who is mentioned on the plaque in the North Aisle. On the death of his father, Daniel inherited lands in Middlewich and he also bought Hafod Anhreg in Caernarfonshire in 1803.(1)
In the history of Hafod Anhreg it states “1803-1830 Daniel Vawdrey, the new owner, who built Plas Gwynant c 1804/5 within the holding and brought great agricultural improvements.”
In 1804 Daniel married Ann Wyatt of Penrhyn. He planted 20,000 trees – oak, firs and ash, had 10 cottages and 2 farms on his estate.
In 1829 Daniel Vawdrey became High Sheriff of Caernarfonshire.(2)
About the year 1814, Daniel sold Ravenscroft Hall and Manor, property in Stanthorne and elsewhere in Cheshire to buy Tushingham Hall.(3)
In 1836 Daniel and Ann moved back to Hafod Anhreg (then renamed Hafod Tan Y Graig where he died in 1844, Ann died in 1845.
1. Dating Old Welsh Houses – Hafod Anhreg – Research by Margaret Dunn.