The ‘Seaman’ family were prominent in the Middlewich community. They owned land and salt workings around the town. There are a few references to them around the Church. This plaque is located on the north wall of the Church.
John Seaman was a gentleman and salt pan owner in Middlewich, he and two other firms divided 14 pans between them (1).
John was the son of William and Amy Seaman of Middlewich who are buried outside the south door and are commemorated on a large grave marker adjacent to the south wall of the Church. He had two sisters, the eldest sister, Mary, was the first wife Daniel Vawdrey (see plaque below) and his other sister, Elizabeth, is buried beside her parents.
This plaque is a remembrance to Daniel Vawdrey (see Trail 24) and his two wives, both were born Mary Seaman. Daniel’s information on the plaque is indistinct.
Daniel was the son of Daniel Vawdrey Esq of Mill Gate Chester and his wife Hannah Sandbach.
Daniel’s first wife was Mary Seaman, sister of John Seaman mentioned above, and daughter of William and Amy Seaman. They had two sons, the first, Gilbert died aged 3. The second son was Daniel who inherited land in Middlewich, he sold his lands to purchase Tushingham Hall from Lord Kenyon. Daniel also bought land and built Plas Gwynant in Wales(2), he married Ann Wyatt of Penrhyn. Daniel is also remembered on the Church font that was gifted by his family.
Daniel’s second wife, also called Mary Seaman, was a cousin of John and Mary Seaman and the daughter of Peter Seaman of Warrington. They had five sons and one daughter(3). Their sons Gilbert and William were both called to the Lord’s service. Gilbert was the incumbent of Wrenbury and William was Rector of Hartshill and incumbent of Burdwardsley.
The third plaque to mention the ‘Seaman’ family is on the South wall.
Amy was the sister of Daniel Vawdreys’ second wife and the cousin of Mary and John Seaman. Amy died unmarried(4).
The William Seaman mentioned above (father of John and Mary) was instrumental in securing the existing route of the Trent and Mersey canal through Middlewich.
The map(5) shows the original proposed routes of the Trent and Mersey (shown dotted either side of Middlewich).
William was spokesperson for the Salt producers in Middlewich who petitioned Parliament to have the canal route changed to come through the town. They petitioned that the new route would enable the salt to reach the deep water port of Liverpool easier and faster. They had the backing of Josiah Wedgewood who needed a route to Liverpool for his pottery. The change of route was authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1776.
1. Studies in Administration and Finance 1558-1825 by Edward Hughes.
2. The Snowdonia Dendrochronology Project – Nant Gwynant by Margaret Dunn.
3. History of Cheshire – Ormerod
4. Family lineage – Various sources - inc Geni, Ormerod.